Back in November, I was bequeathed a desk and nightstand set that was originally my cousins but was in my aunt's house at the time of her passing. My cousin didn't want it back and I was in need of some new furniture for our guest room, so I took it home with me. It had been sitting all winter in our mud room, but now that the weather is nicer I've been working on it as time has allowed and can finally say that it's done! It's not that it was a particularly difficult project, but the bones of it were not solid wood so the paint I used was not the biggest fan of staying put. For starters, I used spray paint for the whole thing instead of a paint can and brush. I did this because I wasn't sure if you would see the paint streaks and whatnot so spray paint seemed like the best option to get an even application.
The first thing I did was remove all the old hardware and filled in the holes of the drawers that were getting a spiffy upgrade. Some of the pulls were broken so I bought new ones for some drawers and did a gold finish on the others using spraypaint. This is such a great way to revitalize old hardware that is still in good condition but has seen better days. I've done this with a few projects now and it's amazing what a difference it can make.
Next, it was time to sand. Using my orbital sander and 80 grit sandpaper, I went over everything that I could. Since this wasn't solid wood, nor was I planning to stain it, it was only necessary to try to get as much of the old paint layers off as possible and basically just rough up the surface so the new paint could adhere better. After the initial sanding job of any project, I tend to get nitpicky about the cleanup. It's a 3 step process to make sure that there isn't any dust or debris leftover to mess with my paint job. Step 1 is to take the air compressor and go over the entire thing, making sure to get in all the nooks and crannies. Step 2 is to take a damp cloth and wipe the whole thing down. Step 3 is to go over everything again with some tack cloth. This stuff uses the adhesive that's similar to those bug strips that are super sticky. I would highly recommend using this with a rubber glove because it is quite the pain in the rear to remove from skin.
After that's done, it's time to do the primer. I believe I used 3 cans for this project. Once it's dried, I went over everything again with some 220 grit sand paper very lightly to remove and lumps and bumps that often happen in the drying process. If you run your hand over your project before sanding and then again after, you'll notice what a huge difference this makes. Just be careful not to sand it down too much because you're only doing this to remove the imperfections from the drying process, not to remove the primer you just applied. After the sanding was done, I went over everything again with the tack cloth to remove excess debris.
The next step is applying the paint. I sprayed evenly over all the surfaces holding the can about 6 inches away. Make sure you're in a well ventilated area as using all these spray paints can stink up a place pretty good! I let everything dry for 24 hours before moving on to the gold trim portion of the project.
I don't think I realized what I was getting myself into when I decided to do a gold trim. Good lord was that a chore! First of all, see the brushes in the pic that I used? Don't buy them, they are total crap and will only frustrate you. Don't be a cheap-ass like me and buy brushes for $5. Go get the good stuff. Secondly, I'm not sure if it was the gold paint I used or the spray paint or the surface I was applying it to, but the gold paint did not want to stick to any piece I was painting. It would just get all smeared and thin looking. All I could do was get the best base layer possible and then come back and do another layer over it.
After the gold trim was done, the only thing left to do was a layer of polyurethane. I'm a huge fan of the Minwax Water Based Finish. This is a step that some people don't do and I've never understood the logic behind it. You've worked so hard on a project, so why wouldn't you want to do everything you could to protect it? Since this is going in our guest room and there won't be much "work" happening on the desk, I only did one layer. If it was something that was going to get more use I would have gone with two to be on the safe side. Lastly, I re-attached the hardware and admired my hard work! I really only have one gripe about this project as a whole and that's my paint choice. You'll notice in the pic that the color was "Oxford Blue". It really should have been called periwinkle because this thing is purple! Fortunately, I live in Vikings territory where we bleed purple and gold so these will fit in nicely. In total, I really only spent about $20 on everything for this makeover which the majority of that was paint. Not too shabby!
Hey there -
I'm Bri! Lover of food, wine, and photography that is currently traveling with my professional bass fishing husband along with our cantankerous rottie, Kigen. When not traveling you can find me living the lake life off the shores of Lake Mille Lacs in Isle, MN. Pour a drink, pull up a chair and join me as I journey across the country documenting it all along the way!